Faculty Search - Fall 2019
Tenure Line Position in Linguistics at Northwestern University
The Department of Linguistics at Northwestern University seeks to fill a tenure-line position with a start date of September 1, 2019. We are looking for candidates who pursue an integrated approach to the scientific study of language, utilizing experimental, computational, and/or data-intensive approaches to inform linguistic theory and its applications. The candidate will join a vibrant interdisciplinary community including researchers from cognitive neuroscience, computer science, philosophy, psychology, and speech science.
We seek candidates with a forward-looking research program that holds the promise of future external funding. Although we expect to hire at the rank of assistant professor, more senior candidates will also be considered.
To receive fullest consideration, applications should arrive by November 2nd, 2018. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in Linguistics, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Psychology, or a related field by the start date. Please include a CV (including contact information), statements of research and teaching interests, reprints or other written work, teaching evaluations (if available), and the names of three references (with their contact information). References will separately receive upload instructions after you have submitted your application (letters of reference should arrive as close to November 2nd as possible).
The Department is strongly committed to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects – including, but not limited to, race/ethnicity, and gender, as well as disability, sexual orientation, and gender expression and identity. We encourage applications from candidates that share this vision.
E-mail inquiries should be directed to Matt Goldrick, Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make ALL preparations before proceeding to application page.
If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be saved or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required, though you may list up to five names. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
- Prepare a separate PDF file for each of the following documents; file names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters. Unless otherwise noted, files must be 4 MB or smaller.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- Copies of Recent Publications (up to 8 MB)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (up to 8 MB, if available)
- Other materials (up to 8 MB, if you wish to add anything not covered above)
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields are marked with an asterisk (*) and must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by November 2nd, 2018, will be ensured full consideration. Letters of reference should arrive as close to November 2nd as possible. You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.