Postdoctoral Fellow Search - Fall 2017
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Linguistics and Cognitive Science at Northwestern University.
The Department of Linguistics at Northwestern University invites applications for a full-time, non-renewable, two year postdoctoral fellowship in any area of linguistics. We are looking for candidates who pursue an integrated, interdisciplinary approach to the scientific study of language, utilizing experimental methods, corpus analysis, and/or computational modeling to inform linguistic theory and its applications. The fellowship period begins September 1, 2017. Each year, the fellow will be expected to teach one undergraduate-level course in the Department of Linguistics. The fellow will also serve as an undergraduate adviser for the Cognitive Science Program, working with students pursuing the major and minor on academic issues (e.g., course selection, research opportunities, progress on degree requirements).
The fellow will join a vibrant interdisciplinary community of researchers from across the cognitive sciences (including communication sciences, computer science, learning sciences, music cognition, neuroscience, philosophy, and psychology). The fellow’s research will be supported by the facilities of the Department of Linguistics.
To receive fullest consideration, applications should arrive by April 1, 2017. Candidates must hold a Ph.D. in Linguistics or a related field (e.g., Cognitive Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Philosophy, Psychology, Speech and Hearing Sciences) by the start date. Please include a CV that includes contact information, brief statements of research and teaching interests (1-3 pages each), up to 3 reprints or other written work (including thesis chapters for ABD applicants), teaching evaluations (if available), and the names and contact information for three references.
E-mail inquiries should be directed to Matt Goldrick, Chair.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make ALL preparations before proceeding to application page.
If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
- Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
- All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be saved or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
- Three names and email addresses for external referees are required, though you may list up to five names. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
- Prepare a separate PDF file (4MB in size or smaller) for each of the following documents; file names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Teaching Statement
- Copies of Recent Publications
- Writing Sample
- Additional Materials
- When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields are marked with an asterisk (*) and must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by April 1, 2017, will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.